Diabetes & Your Oral Health
Extra Vigilance Must Be Practiced
While it’s certainly important for everyone to take care of their teeth and mouth, it’s even more so for the estimated 26 million who suffer from diabetes to do so. When blood sugar levels spike, it makes for the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive and wreak havoc on the teeth.
Diabetics must also keep a lookout for any inflammation or open wound inside the mouth that can become infected, so it’s very important to do a check on it each day. Be sure to tell your dentist that you’re diabetic and report any unusual signs to him or her right away.
For those residing in Paramus, NJ; Hackensack, NJ; Maywood, NJ; or River Edge, NJ; Roman Dental Arts can help diabetics of all ages maintain proper oral health. In addition to checking your blood sugar regularly, we at Roman Dental Arts recommend the following precautions:
- Make A Commitment – While it’s going to take some work, your health is worth it! Commit to a plan, and be sure to follow it as you should.
- Be Sure To Brush At Least Twice Daily – The ideal pattern is in the morning and at night, as well as after eating. Use a soft-bristled brush and fluoride toothpaste. Replace the brush every three months. Don’t brush too hard, as that can irritate your gums. Consider an electric toothbrush if you have difficulty brushing manually.
- Floss Daily – Flossing gets rid of the plaque between your teeth and underneath the gum line. Use waxed floss and/or floss with a holder if it makes things easier for you.
- Schedule regular checkups with Roman Dental Arts and report any pain, swelling, or bleeding in your mouth right away.
- Quit Smoking – tobacco smoking increases the risk of gum disease and tooth loss in diabetics. Please ask if you need help.
The team at Roman Dental Arts is a family dentistry practice. Schedule an appointment today!